But there are some tips shared with you from my Egypt trip in 2004. Hope these tips will help you having a better trip!
- Do not walk alone, always stay with your group; take care of each other, don't make yourself an easy target.
- Do not trust any people who say they are Egyptian officials, unless they are wearing uniforms. There are too many fake officials in the airport and tourist attractions.
- If there is someone trying to take you to better view points or restricted areas for photo taking, do not follow him unless you are willing to pay.
- For tourist group, usually tour guide will pay tips for whole group, but those people who handle camel riding and coach riding still ask for more tip "aggressively". Please don't give, and go back to your group quickly.
- It is fun to shop in the traditional market, but make sure how much you need to pay for the goods before you buy it; use pen or calculator is a good idea.
- Don't think you are smart or tough! These people are smarter and tougher than you.
- Not all Egyptians are trying to rip off tourists, most of them are quite friendly. But some people do rip off tourists for living, so be well-prepared!
If fact, Egypt is my favorite of all the couturiers I have visited. It is like walking in the Discovery channel; everything is so amazing and touching. But the way they ask for tips really make me sick!