December 10, 2008

THE VILLAGE (寶島一村)

the ticket and the bunNo. 99 of the Village

The Village is the new play of Performance Workshop Theatre Taiwan (表演工作坊). It tells a story about a very special sub culture in Taiwan, "Juan Chun" (Compound village, 眷村). When KMT government withdrew from Mainland China in 1949, many military people with their families immigrated to Taiwan from many provinces of China, and were allocated at many "Juan Chun" around military bases.

Those people were far away from home and with different background, so this blended culture formed a new Juan Chun culture in Taiwan. This play tells the stories happened in one of the Juan Chun.

My father came to Taiwan when he was 16 and lived in one of Juan Chun with my uncle, so some of my relatives also a part of Juan Chun culture. This makes me feel so close to the story; something did happened in my and my relatives' families.

I started to watch the plays by Performance Workshop Theatre Taiwan since their first play in 1985 and I still enjoy it. I will recommend people to watch this play, no matter you are familiar with Juan Chun or not. Because it is a part of Taiwan history.

P.S.: you will get a free bun after watching the show, because bun is a key element in the play.

No comments: