November 7, 2008

FLYING WITH AN AIRBUS A380

Singapore Airlines A380 at Changi
Singapore Airlines A380-800, like a big whale
Personal entertainment system of A380; economic class.
personal entertainment system with a wide screen LCD
Airbus A380 over Australia
A380 over Australia


Airbus A380 is the largest airliner in the world at this moment and may keep this title for few decades. Since design, production, test to promotions, A380 was always media's favorite.

Singapore Airlines ordered 25 A380-800 in 2000 and recived the first one in 2007. They became the first airlines to operate A380 and provided their first service from Singapore to Sydney. Because there is no A380 flight route to Taiwan, I did not think I have a chance to fly with this famous airplane. Luckily, I had to go Sydney for business purpose in early Nov.. So I flew to Singapore, then took this legent A380 to Sydney.

When I had the first glance at the A380; it was like a big whale at the airport. A380 is just few meters longer than B747, but its true double deck fuselage makes it higher than a B747.

Maybe seeing to many Discovery Channel TV shows and advertising about A380, I had too much expectation on it and that brought me disappointment. "It looks big outside, but still small inside". I was disappointed on its seat arrangement in economic class cabin. The room for legs is less than B777 and A330. I did not feel any privilege of it.

The only thing I do appreciate is the personal entertainment system. The wide screen format LCD gives a better view on movie. The system provides not only movies, but also learning and working. But...who wants to creat word document, spreadsheet and presentation file with this system on an airplane.

Friends asked me how I like the A380. My answer is "Only rich people can feel the privilege of A380, not those people who sit in economic class."

More photos

No comments: